Sunday 2 August 2015

My Go-To Buttercream Icing

Hello Everyone!
This week's blog post is the first in a series of 'Go-To' blog posts and it's for my go-to buttercream icing! Whenever I'm planning on baking a batch of cupcakes or a cake this is always the icing that I whip up. It has a creamy consistency and is very delicious (at least I think so). 
So let's get started...


 The ingredients required:
  • 130g of butter
  • 260g of icing sugar
  • Food colouring (optional)
The food colouring is of course optional but I always add some as I think it adds a nice touch. If you choose not to add food colouring your icing will be a light yellow colour which you will see later on. The colouring I nearly always use is ProGel in the shade Strawberry. I find this brand provides a really pigmented colour and is always true to the colour on the tube. Generally whenever I bake cupcakes, I always make the icing pink as I just love how it looks against the colour of the cupcakes :)

The equipment required:
  • KitchenAid with the whisk attachment 
  • Weighing scales
  • Spoon (or two)

1. The first step is to weigh your sugar and butter and put them into your mixing bowl.

2. The next step is simple as all you have to do is whisk the ingredients together until you have a smooth consistency. I find that this takes about 4 minutes. 

3. The last step is to add one-two drops of your food colouring, depending on how vibrant you want the colour to be, and whisk again until the colour is fully incorporated.

Step 2
Step 3

And you're finished! Your icing should appear smooth and creamy and taste the same too. This buttercream is so simple and quick to make, which is why I love it.
I find that this quantity is the perfect amount for icing 12 cupcakes (which will be my next 'Go-To' blog post so keep your eyes peeled for that). 
If I was coating a cake with this icing I would simply spoon the icing onto the cake and then spread it out with a palette knife.
If I was piping cupcakes I would use a small spoon to fill a disposable icing bag and (most likely) attach my 1M icing tip. My go-to piping technique is the classic swirl. This technique is simple to do once you've had some practice, yet looks stunning.




Thank you for reading this blog post, I hope you enjoyed and I hope you love this buttercream recipe as much as I do :)
See you next time!





4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Love the colour and it look extremely tasty! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Pink icing is definitely one of my top favourites :)

      Delete
  2. have you tried making a dairy-free version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, but I plan to as I have a variety of friends and family with various dietary requirements! If it works out I will definitely be making a blog post about it so stay tuned!

      Delete