Sunday 5 July 2015

Red Velvet Mini Heart Cakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


Hello Everybody!
Today's blog post is for these adorable red velvet mini heart cakes with cream cheese frosting in the middle.
I used a recipe for red velvet cupcakes from 'The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook' but instead of making traditional cupcakes I used a silicone heart-shaped mould to make twelve hearts. I then levelled these hearts to make six red velvet heart  sandwiches. This is a great recipe to make any time you fancy but I also think that it would be particularly nice around Valentine's Day.

These cakes were the result of some trial and error as the first time I made them they were quite disastrous.
First attempt: I overfilled the mould which resulted in extremely lumpy-topped hearts (tasted good but weren't too visually pleasing). They also didn't pop out of the mould as easily as I would have expected. This was probably due to the fact that I didn't grease/ line the mould. The reason for this was that I never normally grease any of my silicone bakeware but the baked goods always manage to pop right out. Therefore I was a bit disappointed as half of my cakes ended up stuck to the bottom of the mould :( If you decide to purchase this mould I recommend that you grease it with some butter or nonstick spray to try and save your cakes.
Second attempt: I didn't overfill the mould and remembered to grease it, which resulted in the cakes you will see below.

To Begin...


The equipment needed for the red velvet cakes; KitchenAid (or whatever mixer you own), measuring spoons, weighing scales, a silicone heart mould, a second bowl and a spoon.


The ingredients needed for the red velvet cakes; butter, sugar, an egg (not pictured), cocoa powder, red food colouring, vanilla extract, buttermilk, flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.

Pictured below are the different stages of the mixture:
I would like to point out that I'm aware the mixture looks quite off-putting and ketchup like but I can assure you that the finished cakes are very appetising.
For the red food colouring I used 'ProGel' in the shade Poppy. This brand is my go-to when colouring buttercream icing and mixtures as it provides a very pigmented colour which is perfect for baking.

Next up was making the cream cheese frosting...
  
The equipment needed for the cream cheese frosting; KitchenAid (or again whatever mixer you own), weighing sclaes and a spoon.

The frosting only requires three ingredients and is very easy to make.
 
The ingredients needed for the cream cheese frosting; icing sugar, butter and cream cheese.
Because I made these mini cakes before I knew the quantities specified in the recipe of the frosting would be too much. To solve this little problem, I divided the quantities by four. This meant that I only required:
  • 75g icing sugar
  • 12g of butter
  • 31g of cream cheese
These new quantities made the perfect amount of frosting for the six cakes! 

Here are the finished cakes:


From the side of the cakes you can see a bit of the cream cheese frosting poking out which I think makes them look even tastier:

Here's what the cakes look like once you've cut them down the middle:

TT's Review*: The red velvet cakes were airy, moist and consisent throughout. Throughly enjoyed them. 

Thank you so much for reading my second blog post and I'll see you all again soon! 

*Taste Tester :)


No comments:

Post a Comment