Saturday 12 August 2017

Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake

Hi Everyone!
For this blog post I combined two of my favourite flavours; chocolate and orange! This loaf cake looks great as the bright orange icing makes a beautiful contrast against the chocolate brown loaf. I was super happy with how this cake turned out
So let's get started...



You will need:

  • 175g butter
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 110ml milk
  • 4tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • zest of two oranges
  • 75g butter
  • 1.5tbsp milk
  • 150g icing sugar
  • orange food colouring
  • some melted milk chocolate

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and line your loaf tin if necessary, mine is silicone so there was no need to

2. Beat together the butter and sugar until light in colour and soft

3. Add the eggs, one at a time with mixing between each addition

4. Add the flour, baking powder, milk and vanilla and mix until smooth

5. Grate both your oranges and add majority of the zest into the cake batter, leave some leftover for decorating

6. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for about 40 minutes, check it at the 40 minute mark to see if it needs a bit more baking





7. I cut the top off of my cake to level it a bit. While your cake is cooling, it's time to make the icing, mix together the icing sugar, butter and 1.5tbsp milk until all smooth. Then add as much or as little orange colouring as you like


8. I wanted to melt a leftover Easter egg that I came across and drizzle the chocolate on top. However the chocolate was not made for melting and I was left with this:

I decided to crumble up this chocolate and just sprinkle it on top

9. I didn't use a nozzle to pipe the icing, I simply cut the tip off of the bag and piped in a back and forth motion

10. Sprinkle the chocolate crumbs onto the cake, add the leftover zest, slice and enjoy!



And you're finished!



Thank you all for reading this post, have a lovely weekend and I'll be back soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment