Sunday 18 October 2015

Halloween Cat Biscuits


Hi Everybody!
This week's post is my first Halloween post, which I'm super excited about because Halloween is one of my favourite times of the year to bake for. 
I know it's still a bit early to be baking for Halloween but I think now is a good time to start planning which festive treats to make. For this reason I chose to bake something that is Halloweeny without being too overboard; black cat biscuits!


To make these I incorporated one of my past blog posts, "My Go-To Biscuit Dough". If you follow that recipe up until the cutting out of the dough, you will be well on your way to making these biscuits.
Once your dough is made and rolled out you can take a cat cookie cutter instead of the heart I originally used. The cat cutter that I used is actually for fondant so it makes pretty small sized biscuits, but I think that this size is great for children as they're significantly smaller than a normal biscuit and the size also means that you can justify eating more than five ;)
But here's an actual cat cookie cutter.
As my cookie cutter was quite small these biscuits only took 10 minutes in the oven, so be sure to check on them to avoid burning.
I actually halved the recipe and still managed to cut out 23 cats.
before the oven
after 10 minutes

When your biscuits come out of the oven and have started to cool you can start making the icing. To do this you'll need:
  • 150g icing sugar
  • 2tbsp water
  • black food colouring (I used 'ProGel' in black)
  • bowl
  • spoon
  • weighing scales
  • number 5 icing tip
  • piping bag 
  • Hundreds & Thousands
basically what you need to decorate the biscuits

1. Place the icing sugar into a bowl and add the water one tablespoon at a time until you have quite a thick consistency which I've pictured below.

2. When you have the correct consistency you can add a few drops of the food colouring and mix again. If you're using a liquid food colouring you may need to add more icing sugar, as the food colouring can thin your icing. 

3. Fill your piping bag with about one tablespoon of the icing and go around the outline of each biscuit.

4. When you've iced the outline on every biscuit, add one teaspoon of water at a time to your icing until it is more runny and disappears back into itself on the count of 10. 

5. Place the icing back into a piping bag and "flood" inside the outlines of each biscuit. If you get any air bubbles, gently tap the biscuit off of the table or take a toothpick and pop them.  (I forgot to take a picture of them filled in and without the eyes)

consistency of the outlining icing
step 3
 You can leave the biscuits plain black if you prefer but I like to give them yellow eyes to make them creepier. All you need to do is take some of the yellow Hundreds & Thousands out and drop them onto the cats face while the icing is still wet. 


And you're done!
I hope you enjoyed this week's Halloween blog post and trust me there's a lot more to come :) See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment